Monday, December 16, 2013

A Reading Year in Review

This is the first time I've ever taken inventory at the end of a year like this. It was a fun little research project for myself. Go ahead and try it! See what fun stats you can create from your own list.

2013
Books read: 26
Of these, 12 were e-books.
(Note: These do not include children's books, of which I've read too many to count!)


Fiction: 18
Non-fiction: 8


New authors I'm following: 4


Broken into genres. . .

Historical: 15
Suspense: 2
Memoir: 2
On Writing: 2
Life: 2
Romance: 1
Cooking/Memoir: 1
Humor: 1

Reviews written: 18

My favorite of the fiction: When Mountains Move (Julie Cantrell)

My favorite of the non-fiction: The Question That Never Goes Away (Philip Yancey)

Books that stuck with me / surprised me / so glad I stumbled upon:

3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White (Ron Miles)


The Truth About Butterflies: A Memoir (Nancy Stephan)

Laugh-out-loud moments:

Crossroads Road (Jeff Kay)

Teary moments:

3500 (see above)

The Question.... (see above)

The Truth... (see above)

Authors met this year:

Eleanor Brown
Alex George
Sandra Dallas

What a year for readers! There are so many books out there and so little time. I tend to read all the new books released by my favorite authors, e-books that have gotten good reviews (especially when they're offered FREE), heartwrenching memoirs, lots of historical, those recommended to me, and thrift store gems I pick up. 

So, 26 books. This doesn't include all the research I do online and in books for writing, blog reading, and articles. I also read a LOT of e-book samples before I determine whether or not to order, AND I have spent time with some books which sadly, I did not finish. 

What did the year look like for you? Was there a book that surprised you? Throw me a statistic!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Christina!

    Without going through my bookshelves and e-reader to count, I'd probably say I read about 20 books this year. The scale would tip much more heavily toward non-fiction as part of the research I'm doing on the sequel to my historical novel.

    Thanks for sharing your list--you've given me ideas for future reading!

    Hope your holidays are merry and bright---just like you!!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! I think with all the writing and researching, 20 books is pretty good! I can't believe when I see people have read 100-plus books. I think we are more the norm :0) Best of luck with that sequel!

    ReplyDelete